Picross Quest

Categories: Flash, Free, Games, Online, Puzzle

Picross QuestPicross QuestFor all Picross/Nonograms fans, I highly recommend you give a try to Picross Quest, a new Picross game from IconoGames.

“Before playing, please use the instructions menu of the game. It is a nice tutorial about the basics of picross and the game play of Picross Quest. Also you can visit Nonogram article from Wikipedia for more advanced solving techniques.”

Picross Quest is stylish and the author did an excellent job. With appealing graphics, a very nice soundtrack and 90 levels to keep you entertain for a while, Picross Quest is definitely a must-play!

Also recommended: Armor Picross 2.

7 Comments to Picross Quest

1. Alexa Karuda says:

Squee! I love picross games!!!

2. Reka says:

Meh. Much the same as the Armor Games offering, with some added annoyances. I can see where restricting you to horizontal or vertical rows can seem like a good idea, but in practice it just serves to really slow things down. And it’s very easy to accidentally start on the wrong square, and once you do so, there ain’t nothing you can do to prevent it docking you a minute.

I’ve yet to find a Picross game that offers everything I want:
    – left click to fill in, right click to mark as blank
    – automatic graying out of finished rows/columns (and don’t require me to mark blanks for this to work)
    – highlight the row/column I’m on
    – no timer, or optional timer
    – in the grid, highlight every fifth line with a color that shows up even if the squares around it are filled in
    – don’t tell me when I’m wrong, and certainly don’t deduct points/add time/etc.
    – don’t require me to log in, sign up, or otherwise introduce myself

3. acetin says:

Hi Reka,

I’m the author of Picross Quest and i will definitely consider your suggestions while making a sequel :)

If you start on the wrong square, just press [space] without releasing the mouse button.

have fun!

4. Reka says:

@acetin, suggestions I can certainly do! :)

The “killer” feature would be left-click to fill in, right-click to mark as blank, but I don’t know if that’s possible via flash. Shift+click might work, but ideally, that would be how to restrict the marking to a straight line. Although I suppose you could use ctrl+click for that…
    – left click: fill in
    – shift + left click: erase/mark as blank
    – ctrl + left click: fill in a straight line
    – ctrl + shift + left click: erase in a straight line

For this game, what purpose does the 123 button serve, and more importantly, how do I get rid of the numbers I accidentally dragged across the board? (Without exiting and restarting the puzzle, that is.)

5. Reka says:

Oh, and I do want to add, interface niggles aside, the puzzles in the game are really nice. Well, with one or two exceptions – the “moon” in the 5×5 puzzles looks more like a crab, but what do you want from 25 pixels. :)

6. acetin says:

Hi Reka,

Thanks again,

I’ve started doing some changes to the gameplay and interface according to your suggestions. I hope the gameplay will be better.

Afaik, it is not possible to use right-click but middle-click can be used to mark a cross. (Not everyone has a 3 button mouse, therefore middle-click will be an extra way to cross).

123 tool does the counting/marking/highlighting the blocks. Use of this tool is optional but some unexperienced picross players found this tool useful. Therefore, I decided to add it to the game. You can press [space] or [esc] to get rid of the numbers.

7. Lala says:

@acetin, this game is fun! It reminded me of those crossword puzzles where you have to find the black squares on your own (I love those!).

@Reka, the use of the left/right click is a good idea, changing buttons is annoying.

Other than that, I don’t think I have any serious remarks (especially that I am not very familiar with this game).